Southern Maryland Legal Practice
From Auto Accidents to Zoning
Our lawyers handle a wide variety of legal matters and offer clients high-quality legal advice, transactional and litigation services. We are problem solvers. We are sensitive to legal expenses and work to provide clients with the most cost-effective legal representation possible. We undertake a detailed case analysis and a thorough investigation of the facts. We use this to develop a strategy that will get the best results at the least cost.
This sometimes involves litigation. It sometimes involves negotiation. Whatever path we take, you can be assured that our lawyers have considered your best interests when developing an approach to solving your legal problem.
- Personal Injury. We help injured people obtain the compensation they need and deserve because of injuries caused by medical malpractice, an auto accident or car crash wrongful death, motorcycle accident, truck accident, boat or jet-ski (PWC) accident, or an on-the-job accident.
- Criminal Defense. If you were charged with a DUI / DWI, were arrested for a drug offense or had your license suspended because of multiple traffic violations, or if you are facing charges for theft, burglary, sex offenses, or other felonies or misdemeanors, our lawyers can help.
- Family and Domestic Matters. We guide people through the divorce process, making sure they understand their options and their rights. We help them obtain protective orders in cases of domestic violence or defend against such orders when needed. We represent clients in matters such as child custody, visitation, child support, alimony and property division that can be stressful and emotionally charged.
- Real Estate. We represent individuals and businesses in residential and commercial real estate matters, including development and financing, land use and zoning, 1031 Exchanges, construction law and residential real estate. We negotiate and draft residential and commercial real estate contracts and leases, deeds of Conservation Easements, shared driveway easements and maintenance agreements. We often assist our clients in the Agricultural Preservation process and in buying and selling Transferable Development Rights (TDR’s). We represent most of the Southern Maryland banks and handle complex commercial transactions.
- Land Use and Zoning. We represent a variety of clients, from individual homeowners to major developers in matters such as zoning variances, special exceptions, zoning, wetland or critical area violations, wetlands protection, commercial site plan and residential subdivision approval.
- Construction Law and Litigation. We represent architects, homeowners and contractors in matters such as mechanics' liens, contractor licensing, construction contracts and workmanship disputes.
- Corporate and Business Law. Typical matters include partnership disputes, buying or selling a business, business formation and shareholder agreements, contracts review and drafting, and transactional work involving buying and selling a business.
- Estate Planning and Probate. We draft wills, powers of attorney, advanced directives (living wills), revocable and irrevocable trusts and handle all probate matters. The Estate Planning and Probate Practice Group also advises our clients on methods of preserving or protecting their assets in the event of death or disability.
- Bankruptcy. We represent individuals and families who are struggling with a financial crisis and may need to seek counsel regarding debt relief options. Either through Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 of the bankruptcy code, we help people resolve their financial crisis and move on with their lives. We are a debt relief agency.
In any of these matters, our lawyers are careful to develop approaches that are cost-effective for our clients. Although aggressive advocates in the courtroom, we are always mindful of the financial and emotional cost of civil litigation. We structure our cases to achieve the best possible result at the lowest possible cost.
To learn more about our practice and our approach to litigation, contact our Calvert County law firm, Davis, Upton, Palumbo & Dougherty, LLC. Call us at (410) 535-1780.